Review Requests

Friday 25 January 2019

Exclusive Author Interview with Rachael Stewart and Review of The Centurion's Wife


Today I have the great pleasure of having a exclusive interview with Rachael Stewart about her standalone book The Centurion's Wife, and some other fun things as well.

Before I start I just want to say the book is brilliant and very hot ðŸ”¥ðŸ”¥ðŸ”¥

Shell Hi Rachael welcome to Boonies123 thank you so much for agreeing to be my next victim...no sorry author interview ðŸ˜‚

Rachael could you please share a few fun facts about the book?

Well, originally it came about because I was asked to write a short erotic piece for a charity anthology. How could I say no when I get to write a smoking hot read and raise money for people who need it at the same time?

When the charity book had done its six-months on sale period, this book baby came back to me and I figured it deserved its own place in the world. I am also secretly hoping it will be loved enough that I can turn it into a series of novellas as I loved Lucia, Aurelia and Gaius so much! Plus, the end is really just the beginning for that trio, or foursome if you want to bring the fabulous Lucius into the mix.

It’s a real naughty piece where I truly let my inhibitions go and had some serious fun writing it.

It also combines my love of history, romance and steaming-hot sex in one tasty novella. What’s not to love!

Shell I loved it


Rachael What makes a good hero and heroine?


There are so many answers to this. But the biggest thing for me is likeability and believability, and that means avoiding little Miss (or Mr) Perfect!

No one is perfect and if they were, they’d be boring. It’s the same for your characters, don’t be afraid of giving them flaws, even nasty ones. So long as the reader understands WHY they are like they are, and can empathise with that character, you are onto a winner.

So, if your hero is controlling, show WHY he is controlling, what made him that way, make the reader and the heroine understand it. Even better when the heroine has a way of easing that part of him and making him a better person by the end of the story. You really want the reader to feel that they have room to grow through the book and that together they make for better people, they are whole, yin and yang so to speak.

Shell Yes I have to like the hero or heroine as well.

Rachael Where do you do your writing, and do you like noise or peace and quiet?

I work in my study, it’s the smallest room in the house and is really quite cute and cosy. The quiet actually freaks me out a little so I like to have noise. Whether it be music playing, I’m a Spotify addict, or I’ll binge watch a series that I love. Anything from Poldark, to Friends, to The Mentalist, to Midsummer Murders, and so on, so long as I can have it on without getting too distracted (this is where you jump in, Shell, and say “I couldn’t possibly concentrate with Mr Turner on the box”—hehe!).

Shell I can't have totally either, I have music playing. Thank goodness I got have a tv in our computer room otherwise I would be binge watching Poldark 😂


Rachael What 5 things do you have while writing?

Coffee, coffee, water, coffee, wine.
Just kidding. Well, not really. I do drink a lot of water, so a 2L bottle sits on my desk and I will indulge in coffee or two, and a red wine when the need takes me. I tend to avoid snacks because they’re dangerous. Once I start, I can’t stop.

Shell I also have water as well, and my notebooks for my reviews.


Rachael have you always liked reading romances and do you have any favourites?


I have loved romance since forever. I picked up my first Mills & Boon almost thirty years ago and have never looked back. I love historical and contemporary. Authors that spring to mind include Sara Craven, Carole Mortimer, Julie Garwood, Philippa Gregory... I also love so many authors in the new DARE range and the entire Unlaced crew, who are awesome in person and on the page! I must confess to having loved Stephanie Meyer’s Twilight too, probably a tad controversial that one!

Shell Oooh another Carole Mortimer fan, love all the Unlaced authors and I must read more Dare.


Rachael What was the light bulb moment that you thought I can be a writer?


I’m not sure there was any one moment. I think I always thought I could do it, but never really believed it would happen for me. It’s too much like winning the lottery—too lucky. But hey presto, I stuck at it and it happened. I still have to pinch myself and stare at my book covers long and hard to truly believe it.

Shell I can't speak for other readers...but for me I'm so glad you got the call.


Rachael Can you tell us what is next?


I have my DARE debut Mr One-Night Stand coming out in March 2019 (http://mybook.to/MrOneNightStand). I really can’t wait to see it on the shelf, to really believe I write for Harlequin Mills & Boon, a dream come true. I keep saying it, but it is!
image.png

My second DARE, Mr Temptation, comes out in June 2019 (http://mybook.to/MrTemptation):
image.png

And my third DARE is due to come out late 2019. It has a Christmas theme and I do so LOVE Christmas - yay!

I also have the sequel to The Good Sister coming out, affectionately named The Bad Sister J No cover for that one yet but you’ll be one of the first to know when I do! Fingers crossed that will be hitting the online booksellers around April 2019.

Phew—it’s a busy release year!

Shell Wow this is a busy year, can't wait to read your books.


Rachael What advice can you give to aspiring new authors?


NEVER give up.

Writing is so subjective and what may not work for one publisher, may well work for another. This happened to me with both Unshackled and The Good Sister. But even if it doesn’t fit with a publisher, you can always self-publish. It is so easy to do these days. In fact, I chose to self-publish The Centurion’s Wife as it’s nice to have full control over some of my work.

But if you’re determined to get into a publishing house, look out for competitions, special blitz’s etc. They can be a great way of getting your voice spotted by a future editor (this happened to me with DARE!). Also, look out for Editors’ Wish Lists and match your work to the right one so that it can really jump out at them.

Make sure your voice is the best it can be and make it your own. Read lots. Look at what you like, what you don’t like and why. Use that to hone your craft.

Writing can also be lonely so try to find fellow writers and form a group, help one another, bounce ideas around and open yourself up to feedback. It doesn’t have to be lonely if you reach out and, in my experience, it’s that reaching out that makes it such a wonderful hobby and career.

Above all, I’m going to go back to the whole don’t give up! Don’t live in fear of rejection, don’t let your internal voice beat you down and stop you from putting words to paper, we all have to start somewhere. Try, try and try again, you’ll be improving with every step you take. And believe me, getting “The Call” makes all the blood, sweat and tears worth it, I promise!

Shell Thanks for that some really good advice.


Rachael Last question and just for fun. Who is your favourite celebrity? You know mine LOL


Ah, that’s a toughie, I have so many but the one that stands out right now is David Boreanaz. I’ll take him in Bones or Buffy, FBI Special Agent or Vamp, I ain’t fussy…he’s just yummy!

image.png


Shell Yeah he's alright, still can't beat Aidan Turner 😂

Please carry on reading, this is my review of The Centurion's Wife. Its only a short review.



One woman a body slave.
One woman freed.
One man destined to serve Rome.


Gaius loves his wife, but his duty is to Rome. And they want him.
He is to leave Aurelia to a household served by slaves.
Slaves that once saw her as a peer and now resent her for her freedom.
But a parting gift is bestowed:
Lucia and Lucius, body slaves, masters in the art of pleasure.
Entrusted with her happiness,
Aurelia’s perfect innocence is a challenge like none other…

Warning: Adults Only 

This is an erotic novella of c.13,000 words, and contains explicit sexual content and language.

If you like your books hot and I'm talking hot, then you must read this book. Yes its only a short novella...but wow does it pack a punch, and because I loved it for me I can highly recommend it.

I will gladly give 5/5 stars. The book is available to buy from Amazon UK and all other retailers.

You can follow Rachael on the following links.












No comments:

Post a Comment